Friday, August 12, 2005

Waiter, there’s a fly in my soup!

89. Vegetable Miso Broth

Nigella says she eats this the most often out of all her low-fat eating. And I can see why – it’s easy, tasty, and fat free. I like it because it’s a good way to get a lot of veggies (and therefore vitamins, antioxidants and all that sort of good stuff) in your system quickly.

Boil some vegetables (turnips, carrots, broccoli, zucchini, sugar snap peas, bok choy) in water, then drain…


Steaming Vegies - check out the blue colander

…then pour over miso broth – vegetable stock with some miso paste mixed in. I made this for three of us, and didn’t have a bowl big enough for both vegetables and broth, so I just left them separate on the table and let people make it themselves. We had them with some lovely bread rolls that my dad got this morning.


Miso broth in the yellow bowl, bread in the background, vegies in the middle, coriander on the side

I did have one, teensy-weensy little problem with this though. Um… it’s totally not the fault of the recipe, and it’s all from my own laziness… but, um… well… I didn’t wash the broccoli enough, and there were bugs in it! So, we had a few bugs floating around in our bowls. FERAL! I felt so bad, and my brother was totally grossed out. After we made that delightful discovery, I picked all of the broccoli out of the boiled vegetables, and the rest of the veggies were edible, so it wasn’t a total waste. At least I didn’t mix the broth with the vegetables – then I would have had to chuck everything out! We’ve got lots of the delicious and bug-free broth left over, so I might have a go again tomorrow – with CLEAN vegetables this time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks good. I made a veggie soup the other day, put it in containers to cool before freezing and when I went back to it there was a bug dying in one of the pots - gross!