Friday, August 05, 2005

Vegetable Curry in Vegetable Sauce

77. Vegetable Curry in Vegetable Sauce

I've made this one before, as in, before I started the How to Eat project, so I knew it'd be good. I made it yesterday, after lunch, and have frozen it up in 5 containers to defrost in the not-too-distant future. I've got two as single-serves, with rice in them, and the rest would feed two or so.


This "curry" is very tasty (but doesn't taste like any curry I'm accustomed too, hence the inverted commas; I'd be more likely to call it a stew), but is very light and doesn't fill you up for very long. So you'd really need some rice or couscous on the side if you want something substantial. I love it though, because it's just so mushily nutritious! I'm a big fan of the mushy vegetable cooked in sauce. And this "curry" is just onions, garlic, capsicum, carrots, mushrooms, turnips, cauliflower, parsnip, fennel, celery, zucchini and beans, cooked in spices and stock - but not drained, so all the nutrients stay in the pot. This is one of the very few super-virtuous meals you could eat on a cold Melbourne day without wanting to kill yourself. She suggests serving it with a raita made of low-fat fromage frais (What on earth is fromage frais? I'd just use yogurt), spring onions, ginger, mint and coriander. I've tried it before, and whilst it's a nice addition if you happen to have the ingredients to hand, it's not entirely necessary.

On the downside, however, it does take a while to prepare, what with all the chopping and peeling and stirring and simmering, but as Nigella says, "it's a worthwhile investment".

No comments: