Monday, August 01, 2005

Low-Fat August: Day 1

So far, it's been going well. Here's what I've eaten all day so far.

1 bowl porridge made from 1/3 cup oats, water and 1 tablespoon golden syrup; 1 coffee with skim milk
1 skinny latte
1 baked potato with taboulleh (no butter, cheese or sour cream, sadly)
1 apple, 1 banana, 1 200g tub No-Fat Honey Creme yogurt, 1 tea with skim milk
Aromatic Chilli Beef Noodle Soup

The porridge and baked potato are what Nigella recommends for everyday low-fat eating. However, she suggests having a baked potato with 25g ordinary cheese - but there was no way I was going to ask the lady at Kebab Express to measure out my cheese, so I skipped the cheese and just went for taboulleh instead. Mmm... full of iron.

I haven't had any dessert yet, but I'm thinking that some more tea, an orange and some 0% fat yogurt will satisfy me whilst I watch Desperate Housewives.

73. Aromatic Chilli Beef Noodle Soup (Low Fat, duh)


Noodles!

There's not really that much to say about this meal, except it's delicious, and it's very much the type of thing I'd habitually cook at home for a midweek meal. It's Chinese egg noodles, in an aromatic broth (beef stock, ginger, chilli, garlic etc), with sugar snap peas and pak choi, with a piece of marinated grilled steak on top. The stock I used was Massel Beef-style Vegetarian stock cubes. The noodles are very filling and tasty, and perfect for day like today, when it's freezing cold, and I'm dumb enough to leave my house in a skirt. "Vanity over sanity", as DG said. The only problem with it is that it's a bit fiddly to make - I hate chopping and peeling ginger, yurgh - but I suppose the ritual of carefully considering and consequently making the food is all part of the templefood way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about Australia, but in Canada we can buy small jars of pre-chopped ginger and garlic - usually found in the produce section. These are so handy and keep beautifully in the fridge, and while they probably don't beat the completely fresh, chop-it-yourself stuff taste-wise, they are still pretty darn good!