Monday, June 27, 2005

Monday Lunch

38. Basic Roast Chicken

Those of you with sharper memories will remember that I made this same, wonderful roast chicken for lunch not too long ago. So why, I hear you ask, am I making it again and counting it as yet another recipe in my list? Well, firstly, this time I made it slightly differently, with all the little extras that Nigella suggests (see below). But the main reason I'm counting it again is because it appears twice in the book (Basics etc. and Weekend Lunch), and I didn't realise this when I was typing up my recipe list. So, it accidentally appeared twice in my list of 385 recipes.

By the way, I have a numbered list, 10 pages long, in size 12 Times New Roman font, which I typed up in Microsoft Word, and printed out in blue ink because I ran out of black. I'm crossing off recipes as I go. So now you know.


Basic Roast Chicken with roast garlic and shallots, and jus

This chicken is easy, and fills the house with the aroma of a Good Home. You shove half a lemon up the chicken, anoint it with a teensy bit of extra virgin olive oil, and bake it at 200C for 20 mins per 500g plus 30 minutes. I'm not sure why though, but I never need the extra 30 minutes - maybe it's because I have a stronger, fan forced oven??

Things that are different from last time:
- I added whole unpeeled garlic cloves and shallots to the pan (Sooooo good, we ate ALL the garlic and shallots! Normally that stuff just gets left on the plate...)
- I sprinkled chopped flat-leaf parsley and toasted pinenuts "to make this basic recipe feel a little less basic" (This is a fabulous touch, and there was a bit of a scramble between us to get to the last nut!)

But the most exciting thing about making this chicken is the jus/gravy/sauce, that is made by cooking up the pan juices with some water and wine, which means... Pasta with butter and stock-cube juices for dinner tonight! Yeah baby, yeah!

No comments: