Saturday, September 10, 2005

The world's best chocolate ice-cream

I'm obsessed with ice-cream. My love for ice-cream is the sole reason I spent the bulk of my time in Europe last year in Italy, and why, before leaving Australia, I learnt to speak (basic) Italian.

C'รจ una buona gelateria vincina a qui? Vorrei un gelato perfavore! Vorrei un cono con due gusti, limone e fior di latte! Quanti viene? etc.

Yesterday, I made some ice-cream.

119. The World's Best Chocolate Ice-cream (Basics etc.)

The title tells no lie - this is the world's best chocolate ice-cream. It is intensely chocolatey, with a smoky bitterness and a smooth, smooth texture.

In fact, I think that this ice-cream is so fabulous, that I'm going to give you the recipe, in the hope that every one of you will try it as soon as possible. (And then go out and buy How To Eat, please). I did it in a slightly different order to the recipe, partly because I was doing it whilst making yesterday's Spanish Stew, and partly because I was petrified of it curdling.

Here is a sort-of step-by-step pictographic demonstration of its process. (You will see, however, that I only took photos of things I found significant - so I didn't bother with photos of the actual custard-making-part, but most definitely took photos of the ready-to-lick utensils.)

Ok, so melt 100g 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate (I used one block Lindt) in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Meanwhile, in a KitchenAid, whisk up 4 egg yolks with 130 grams of granulated sugar until you get to the thick moussy ribbony stage. Then heat up 500ml full-fat milk until almost boiling, then whisk it gradually into the eggs, followed by the melted chocolate and 40g cocoa. (I would say, after whisking up the eggs, to switch to a fork. I continued using the electric mixer, and the mixture became superfoamy, much like the cappucino I was drinking...)


Froth

Stir it over a low-to-medium heat until it is smooth and slightly thickened. Plunge the pan into a sinkful of cold water, and stir it a bit until it's cooled down. Then, put 2 tablespoons sugar with 2 tablespoons water in a small pan on a high heat, swirling and heating until it is bubble and very brown. (Watch out, this happens quickly). But don't be too timorous - as Nigella says, "Live dangerously here: you are after the taste of burnt sugar".


Burning sugar

Then immediately whisk the burnt sugar into the chocolate custard (and be careful, it will fizzle and crackle loudly) until it is all dissolved, and refrigerate for about 20 minutes before churning in an ice-cream maker. (I transferred it from pan to a jug, because the hole on my ice-cream maker is small, and I didn't want to spill any).


in churn


Mmm...

And just as with the rhubarb ice-cream and the vanilla ice-cream, much licking of all the utensils ensued. Chocolate is messy, and I ended up looking rather like Alan Partridge in that episode where he gets together with the old tart and they have chocolate mousse together in an intimate situation, if you know what I mean. The mess is worth it though, it tasted amazing.


Ready to lick!

Then pour into a suitable container and freeze overnight. This is a Peter's 2 litre vanilla ice-cream tub.



Smooth

I gave my brother a spoonful as he was leaving the house today, and he said, "Woah, what is that? That's intense!"

Then my parents and I had some after a lunch of leftovers. Mmm... it's so good. It's extremely rich, however, so try to take only small portions. My mum added some strawberries, but my dad and I preferred it plain.

Dad: Ok, put it away now, otherwise we're just going to eat it all.
Me: as I take another spoonful straight from the carton... Yeah, that's a good idea... taking yet another spoonful straight from the carton...
Dad: Ok, put it away, put it away!
Me: Yeah, yeah I will in a minute!

1 comment:

Peter Raffensperger said...

You know, if you use liquid nitrogen you can make ice cream instantly.

It's really cool.

I love ice cream too. I don't make my own all that often though.

Peter