Thursday, January 19, 2006

Fishy Fish

249. Red Mullet with Garlic and Rosemary (Fast Food)

You will see, from my photos below, that I did not use red mullet, but rainbow trout. I knew we wouldn't be able to get red mullet, but when we went shopping this morning, all the white-fleshed-red-skinned fish looked slightly dodgy. "Red snapper", "red fish", "pinky"... I had no idea what they would taste like, so I took the safe route and got my favourite, rainbow trout.

I choose to accompany it with a pared-down version of the noodles with spring onions, shiitake mushrooms and mangetouts. (And by pared down, I mean I used regular onions in place of the spring onions, and omitted the mushrooms).

As for the fish, you start by heating up some orange zest, rosemary and garlic in a pan with oil (I chopped them up using a processor) until sizzling, then frying your fish fillets on both sides.


Sauce

Then you remove the fillets to a warmed plate, and deglaze the pan with white wine or vermouth. Having neither white wine nor vermouth in the house, I used gin. Good old Beefeater gin. It worked a treat.


noodles + fish

Now, the fish didn't look too pretty because the garlic-orange-rosemary mixture went really brown in the pan. Perhaps this problem could be avoided if I were to use a non-stick pan instead of a cast iron one. The flavour was great, however. And the noodles were a great complement. Much like the rice in yesterday's lunch, we've been really missing noodles lately, and slurped them up like nobody's business.


Fish + noodles

2 comments:

Meleyna said...

So I definitely commented yesterday, but it didn't show up. Whatever. So I was up until 5 AM last night reading your blog, from start to finish. And I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed it. And even if my other option for spending my time was some really cool TV show instead of Japanese homework, I think I still would have opted for your blog. Oh, btw, I'm from the Nigella forum. Not some random crazy person. Nice. Keep up the good work.

Lisa said...

Rainbow trout is thee best, ever! Good call.