Thursday, March 30, 2006

Back to basics...

As I reach the home-stretch of my project, each day I find myself reading and re-reading my list, searching for one of the few remaining recipes that I can cook and then cross off.

Today, I found a recipe which I could cross off without actually cooking.

312. Béchamel


Béarnaise may be my favourite sauce, but béchamel is unquestionably the most useful.

I have to admit, that upon first seeing the recipe, I was a bit confused - yes, Nigella says it is the most useful, but she doesn't actually suggest any uses for it! There are a whole bunch of variations though, for which she has serving suggestions.

But then, when I read the actual recipe again, I realised that (duh!), béchamel is white sauce is béchamel is white sauce... More importantly, I've made it at least half a dozen times before, in various recipes... I just never counted the béchamel itself in my list of recipes which I've made.

41. Fish and Porcini Pie
123.
Blakean Fish Pie
128.
Pea Soufflé
178.
Chicken Pie
207.
Cream of Chicken Soup
257.
Braise-roasted lamb with Caper Sauce
300.
Baked Veal and Ham Pasta

There you go.

Meanwhile, stay tuned. The variations on a theme of béchamel will be coming over the next few days!

No comments: