Sunday, April 02, 2006

What a magnificent rump

Tagliata, or versions thereof, were my dinner party staple, B.P. (that is, Before Project). It’s so simple and delicious, I don’t see why it shouldn’t be everybody’s dinner party staple. A huge piece of steak is marinated overnight, then quickly grilled, allowed to rest and then sliced into delicious rags of meat. I used to make it with the Thai-influenced flavourings of Jamie Oliver’s carpaccio recipe (Return of the Naked Chef), and serve the meat on a bed of mixed lettuce.

316. Tagliata (Dinner)

This recipe is hidden away as a suggestion in the MIDSUMMER DINNER FOR 8. Nigella’s recipes involves marinating a large rump steak in olive oil, lemon zest, peppercorns and thyme. I got my mum to buy steaks for me, and she came home with these two magnificent (and massive) steaks...


magnificent rump

I thought they might be a bit much for just the two of us, so I marinated them both and stashed one in the freezer for future consumption.


one for the freezer

I marinated them late on Thursday night, and grilled them for lunch on Friday.


grilled steak

While the meat was resting, I made a thin sauce by deglazing the pan with marsala and water. Then I sliced the meat, arranged it on a plate, and drizzled it with the sauce.


sliced tagliata

I served them with oven-baked fries (not a contradiction, I'm sure), and some mixed lettuce.


Lunch

Ordinarily, at this point I'd provide my opinion of the dish, but I think in this instance, words are unnecessary. Just look at the total gorgeousness of our lunch!


Beautiful!

2 comments:

FooDcrazEE said...

truly magnificent and delish...yet so simple.what a meal

markii said...

That looks gorgeous! :D